Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Trying Stuff / Seeing Progress





I'm trying out an experimental construction technique. These arbols are built with a wooden dowel inside. The dowel is wrapped in plastic, so that it can (supposedly) be removed easily. One of the difficulties of creating this form, is that all of the clay has to be wet. If it isn't all put together wet, cracks form. The wooden dowel will continue to give structure as the piece is firming up overnight. Usually, I take the dowels out, before I add the top decorations. We'll see what happens. There are a million fiddly considerations with this work. 

This morning's kiln unload was a good one. And, now there are some finished colorful bowls out of the kiln. It takes patience to put up with drying time, three firings, and glazing layers. I'm pretty happy with the bright colors. These bowls will be placed on a ladder shelf. I think that they'll make a cheery statement!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...