Sunday, June 21, 2020

Larry.



I am so grateful for my dad. When I was a child, I had almost no relationship with him. He worked all of the time. And, he travelled for his job, to Italy, Germany, and Japan, so he was rarely at home. Consequently, I have only a handful of memories of him from my childhood. 

His driven work ethic allowed my dad to go from being a sheep herder as a boy, to the air force, to college, to leaving his small town behind. His job was a way for him to provide for his family. He went from designing a tube for the microwave oven, to becoming the vice president of a large electronics company. While I was in my junior year of college, he sent me a heartfelt letter of apology. He told me that he was sorry he had spent so much time working, instead of being with his family. It was full of regret.

After my mom passed away, I decided to build our relationship.  I spent one or two days a week with him at his house. We would go to lunch. It has been such a positive experience for me. I like hearing about his childhood on the ranch. I like hearing about his family. 

This pandemic has allowed me to visit, delivering groceries, two or three times a week. It has given me a chance to watch over the person who always watched over, and provided for me. What a blessing.

Happy Father's Day. 







2 comments:

  1. Lovely tribute to your dad, Karen. It is wonderful you are doing so much for him during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Karen—thank you for all you do for Dad. He might not tell you how much it means to him, but he tells me. He is an amazing man and my rock.

    ReplyDelete

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...