Thursday, May 27, 2021

Self-Knowledge

 







Discuss what you have learned about yourself, and your students during the 2020-2021 school year...


I learned some hard lessons this year. I learned that an office meeting platform is not a classroom. I learned that google classroom is poorly designed. I learned that I have no control over what happens in homes. Finally, I learned that it's almost impossible to motivate students remotely.



I provided roughly 15 video lessons each week, which students could watch. Those who watched the video lessons, and completed the work associated with the lessons, found success. Those who did not watch the videos, and avoided the work, had lowered test scores. There was a direct correlation. I wanted to provide rigorous content for students, and I think that the videos accomplished that goal. However, I couldn't force students to watch the videos, or to do the work. Many students thrived with independent work, because they were self-disciplined, or because parents and grandparents monitored work. 

I am an introvert. It was easy to quarantine. My regular life looks a lot like quarantine. But, I found that the pandemic brought intense worry and dread. Sleep became elusive. Art was difficult. Depression came on strong. I lost some dear loved ones this year, and that deepened the sadness. The saving grace was visits with family and friends. My brother's cancer surgeries were successful, and my two nieces delivered beautiful babies. My sister took over the care of my elderly father. I was visiting him three days a week, buying his groceries, and cooking him a few meals. But, after nine months, it was a relief to have my sister care for him in her home. His well-being gives comfort to us all. 



I learned to relinquish control in the classroom, and with my art practice. All of my art shows were cancelled during the pandemic. At first, it sent me into a tailspin. Then, I started making small worry stones, using sprig molds. These were like a meditation, and I made several giant jars full of hundreds of worry stones. I finished off a cabinet which holds the jars. This project kept me focused and working with wet clay. Eventually, I was able to move on to other work. Art allowed me to solve problems, which was very comforting.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...