Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Challenges

 


Share what challenges you faced this year, and describe how you overcame, or worked through them...


One of the greatest challenges that I faced was teaching in my own way. I like to teach using hands-on projects, because we are a school that values experiential learning. This was very problematic, and I had to figure out how to get the materials to student homes. In order to continue to try to teach with projects, I also had to make dozens of videos, and slideshows. These had to be very clear, so that students could easily complete the tasks on their own.





Making all of these slideshows and videos took hours, and hours of effort. They required thought, and careful planning. I am hoping that I can use them as a resource in the future. So in many ways, they were an investment.

Many hours were spent prepping "pick up bags" full of portioned wet clay, balled up yarn or string, and condiment cups of ceramic glazes. Parents were extremely patient with me. They made sure that their students had Book Club books, and project materials. Our last pick up bag contained cardboard looms, popsicle stick shuttles, and an electric circuit kit. Parents delivered ceramic work to the school, and to my front porch. This required a great deal of effort on their part, because each clay project had to be fired twice, glazed, and then returned to the student. If parents didn't participate in these "pick ups", then I delivered. This year was the year of home visits. I made ample use of the class roster, and google maps on my phone. I actually visited one student's day care, at least 6 or 7 times.  


But, the good part about these challenges, is that they gave me focus. They were problem solving exercises, not unlike being a ceramic artist. Students made Native American coiled baskets, pumpkin rattles, ceramic faces, woven pouches, edible physical maps, holiday mugs, ceramic bird nests, rock collections, electric circuits, and more.




I'm sure that these projects will seem easier next year. The students in this class didn't miss much in the way of hands-on activities. The only thing missing was the fellowship that happens in a classroom where hands-on learning is taking place. I missed having glazing sessions with students, where we laugh and chat, and get to know each other. I missed the looks on student faces when their circuits light up. I missed seeing their baskets in person. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...