Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Fluency

 






I have been tasked with reflecting on my teaching practice during the pandemic. I was asked to provide my thoughts about what personal and professional learning is transferable from this year to next year.

One of the things that I learned this year, is the importance of oral reading in the classroom. During my many years of teaching, I have encouraged kids to read aloud during class. Students read along with me in partners during reading group time. Students read aloud to each other "solo" at reading centers. Students partner read, alternating pages. Students play games in math, and read the instructions aloud to one another, talking through the game.

When they read with me at centers, I place them in groups based on their fluency speeds. Then, I slowly pick up the pace with each group, over an extended period of time. Before they know it, each student is reading faster. And, I test for fluency often, and regroup the students as they progress.

Today, I started giving fluency tests to my students. Almost every single student has lost fluency during this pandemic. That is in direct contrast to non-pandemic years. Each year, almost every student gains in fluency, because they are practicing daily. We all make mistakes when we read aloud. And, mistakes are fine in my class. Students learn to self-correct quickly, and efficiently. They learn to think, as they're listening to the words which they are speaking, so it actually builds comprehension, too.

I remember hearing, a few years back, that this process discourages readers. I just don't see it. I see it building strength, self-esteem, and greater comprehension. It makes the classroom feel like a place where mistakes are tolerated, and where growth makes students feel powerful.

I read aloud to my class daily, and I place the book on the projector, so that students can see me make mistakes, and then self-correct.

This is valuable information, which comes at a heavy price. I felt intuitively that oral reading benefitted students. Now, sadly, because of the pandemic, I have the numbers to prove it. The good part about fluency, is that like all practice, it changes the reading dynamic quickly. So, we'll get started on Day One of next year...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...