Monday, June 17, 2019

Priorities and Choices Indeed

Large cake, made from white clay...

For several months, I have wanted to make mixed media wedding cakes. I'm finally coming to terms with my love life, and with my priorities and choices. I've searched out vintage cake toppers. Unfortunately, the first few cakes had major cracks. I patched the cracks, and then glazed them anyway, using them as "test tiles". I began with my usual brown clay, and then coated it with white, then pink underglaze. Next, I used two coats of ivory underglaze. I wanted the icing to have a slight sheen, so I diluted some clear glaze with water. The mixture was half water and half clear glaze. Mistakenly, I used two coats. So, the result was some weirdly shiny (almost opalescent) pink cakes. The clear glaze brought out all of the pink underglaze, and supressed the ivory color. Note for next time: one coat of pink, and three coats of ivory...

Using what I've learned, I made some new cakes with white clay. I tried a new way of building the cakes. It involves a donut cutter! We'll see how this new strategy works.


Building with interior supports, not slabs...
Epic pink fail...
The beginnings of icing and ice cream...
Littler cake...
Thinking about my dad on Father's Day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...