Sunday, April 4, 2021

Potted Topiaries: Round Two




A few months ago, my dad was cleaning out his food supply cupboard. Some syrup had exploded, and instead of just throwing away a bit of the expired food at once, it was an all hands on deck situation. When the cupboard was emptied, my mom's old sugar and flour tins were discovered. These were old silver and blue cylindrical tins which she always dragged out when she baked. I kept them, and decided to use them as sculpture bases. The design was to involve some urns, with ceramic topiaries on top. These would sit on top of the tins. Of course, the tins would need to be reinforced inside, to support the weight.

I made one vase and topiary. It turned out well, but it was huge. When I set it on the tin, it looked out of scale and ridiculous. Luckily, I only made one. During Spring Break seemed like the ideal time to try again. One set is done, but the other urn and topiary will need to firm up a bit more, before I flip the vase. So, I guess that I'll finish it after school tomorrow. Thank heaven's for daylight savings time!














 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...