Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Virginia Hall and Ice Cream Cones







Today, I worked on making ice cream cones and wall donuts. The cones have to be made with the really wet, sloppy clay that is at the bottom of the bag. And, the ice cream part is a good way to use up slip. It's very messy! I also made some wall donuts on plates. They will have wires in the back for hanging. All of this happened while I was listening to a fantastic book about Virginia Hall. She was an American woman, who was repeatedly turned down for relevant jobs in the foreign service. When she did get work, it was always as a receptionist. She had amazing language skills, and a lot of charisma. So, she applied for Winston Churchill's secret spy network, Special Operations Executives, the S. O. E. Virginia had experienced a leg amputation, after a shooting accident while hunting. She was fitted with a prosthetic leg. I just finished off the part where she becomes imbedded in France, as a reporter for an American magazine. She relays information about life in occupied France. What she's really doing, is letting other S. O. E. agents in on the terrain, and the culture of life in occupied France, so that when they parachute in, they will be able to quickly adapt and blend in. I can't wait to keep listening!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...