Sunday, December 15, 2019

Christmas in the Monterey Adobes: History Nerd Holiday

This was one of the first stores in town...
The lovely garden near the Custom House...

Why haven't I attended Christmas in the Monterey Adobes before? I've lived in the area for almost twenty years. Well, I finally bought my ticket and headed out on the trek last night. It was delightful. A wristband buys you a map, and the chance to hear music in almost every home, and to sample cookies, gingerbread, wassail, horchata, hot cocoa, and tea. Each house had appropriate snacks, and matching musicians. Robert Louis Stevenson's residence had a bagpiper, and served Scottish shortbread and tea. The Custom House had fandango dancers. There was a lute player in the Larkin House. All of the homes were decorated for the holidays. All had exhibits that told the stories and the history of the residents. There were knowledgable reenactors aplenty, and they helped to bring the stories to life. Also, there were many park rangers, situated strategically, to help you find the candlelit adobes in the darkness. I drove home, listening to Mozart on the radio, and feeling positively cheery.

I visited the first brick house in California...
There was amazing art all around...
Many portraits of old Californians...
The Larkin House had some gorgeous knick knacks...
Old Monterey angels showed up everywhere...
Sherman's Quarters had Sherman in person...
The Cooper-Molera Adobe told a sad story...
Success was built on the backs of Native peoples...
Doc Ricketts showed up in the Steinbeck adobe...
He wrote "The Pearl" while she watched...
Robert Louis Stevenson's house had Scottish style...
Another angel at the back of the French Hotel...
Sadly, the bakery was closed...
Now, I'm ready to celebrate Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...