Sunday, April 28, 2019

Wonderful Workshop

I was able to attend a hands-on workshop yesterday...

I've only taken ceramics courses at community centers, and in elementary, and high school. I took one class in college. Most of the school classes focused on throwing, and there was very little time given over to handbuilding. My throwing skills are okay. But, it is safe to say that I've never made anything interesting by using the pottery wheel. Anything. So, sometimes, attending workshops helps me to make sure that I'm going about handbuilding properly, that I'm not missing a trick. Yesterday, I was able to attend a hands-on slab workshop with one of my clay heroes: Josie Jurczenia. It did not disappoint. She taught us how to make our own patterns, and how to handle the clay like fabric. And, she shared her glazing techniques, too. She also made us delicious Mexican chocolate cookies. It was just the kind of inspirational pick-me-up that I've been needing, to get back into the clay shed again!


Drove over to Richmond, past San Francisco...
Josie Jurczenia taught us how to make patterns...
And, how to create different scaled cups and pitchers...
She emphasized how to handle and cut out slabs...
My handles took a while to firm up...
She also demonstrated glazing techniques...
When my pitchers were finished...
I made my mugs have oval rims...
Afterwards, I met my sister for a tasty burger...









No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...