Friday, July 20, 2018

Priorities






Sometimes it's hard to decide what matters most in life. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get everything done. I'm knee-deep in my primary summer job: preparing art work for Open Studios in October. There are suprisingly many demands on my time during this summer season. Usually, I ignore most of them and power through, in order to get the work done. Also, it feels enjoyable to make things. There is a pleasurable creative flow.

But, many things get ignored with this compulsive behavior. Ah, the cares of daily life, they are many! The backyard is like a jungle, and this year, I've tried to start attacking the blackberry brambles. Boy, do I wish that I'd chipped away at the weeding all along. My friendships suffer during the school year, and now they're suffering during the summer as well. I need to try harder with friends and acquaintances, but it's tough to schedule activities, while keeping the flow going.

Creativity needs to be fed. Sometimes I get busy and forget this. Conversations, day trips, museum visits, and other activities are important to me as a creative person. I guess that the "B" word needs to come into play here: Balance. You probably thought I was talking about the other "B" word...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...