Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Thank You, Ruth Ann.

Fellow art book reader...

Sometimes, especially when I complete my taxes, I start to wonder why I do ceramics with my students. It's expensive. It's difficult. It's messy. It's a slow process. It's fragile. But, I think that the reasons which should be stopping me from teaching the ceramic process, are precisely why I do it. Every now and again, I return to Santa Rita Elementary School, and make a pilgrimage to the mosaic created by Ruth Ann Harrison, back in the 1960's. I know that she arranged to have a kiln placed at the school. I know that she selected the terra cotta clay. I know that she picked the glazes. And, a few years after Ruth Ann retired, I entered kindergarten. My first experiences with clay left me wanting more. I took ceramic classes in middle school, high school, college, and I kiln mooched at an assortment of junior colleges, and community centers. So, my heart goes out to Ruth Ann, for instilling in me a lifelong passion. I don't know you, but I feel that I do know you, somehow. And, I work hard to share my love of clay, and to pay your gift forward.


Playing the guitar...

Playing hopscotch...

Enjoying sports...

Dog walking... 
My first project...
Pesky, runny glaze...
A class collaboration...









No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...