Friday, January 26, 2018

Near Violent Craft Store Incident

Beginner gear...

I stopped by the craft supply store, after visiting my dad. A middle aged couple was in front of me at the checkout stand. Overhearing the woman berating her partner was awkward. She wanted him to make a project for her, that involved cutting wooden shelves. She announced loudly, that she wasn't going to buy him a damned table saw. Then, she criticized all of his comments, using a tone that was incredibly demeaning. A young man buying spray paint in line behind me, looked at the ground. He was embarrassed. The resemblance to the tone that Kurt started using with me, years ago, both in letters, and in person, prompted a viceral response. I leaned over to the man, and said, "You should come to my house to do your crafting, we don't yell. And, I would totally go halfsies on a table saw." His girlfriend was busy being fake charming with the checker, and didn't notice my comments. I wanted to let this man know that he was worth more. I wanted to pop the bubble.

Sometimes, when you're knee deep with someone, you start to lose track of yourself. And, you start to feel comfortable, even with degrading comments. It's what you're used to. It's expected. Sometimes you need a reality check, to remember that your bubble is warped. Relationships are supposed to be supportive, that's why we have them.

I left with some needlepoint odds and ends. I want to start learning some basic stitches, so that I'll use my television watching/cool down time more wisely. And, thankfully, the abusive shelf-wanter didn't hear my comments. I have no doubt that we could have ended up making a fight circle near the Easter decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...