Saturday, May 18, 2019

Friendship Flower & Leaf Bowls

We learned how to build flanges and how to unstick lids...

We pressed flowers and leaves into some small clay bowls. The kiln burned off the leaves and flowers. We recently added some color. They are almost ready for the second firing, to set the color. Afterwards, we'll add a brown wash, and then sponge it back, to reveal the patterns of the leaves and the flowers. Then, we'll add a bit of clear glaze. One more kiln trip rounds out the process.

My class is the junction of two separate third grade classes. Usually, I'm pretty good at melding and blending the students into one family. This year has been a bit tough. Crossover friendships have been slow to form. I thought it would be a good idea for students to make a friendship gift for our last ceramic project. Class members made a list of three students they'd like to give their pot to. I went through, and assigned each student a recipient. This was a bit fraught, since some students weren't chosen on any of the lists. But, I was able to sort it out, and honor most choices. Most!

It's really important at our school to join students into a community. We are a small school, with one class per grade level. So, these students will be together until the end of eighth grade. They will face many challenges, and will hopefully be able to strengthen and support one another. That's what community does...


Floral colors are some of my favorites...

The dark wash will bring out the leaf textures...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...