Friday, October 26, 2018

Holiday Craft Fair

These are lovely Charity Hofert stamps...

We got started on our first Holiday Craft Fair project. The kids are making two objects for the holidays. One they can keep, and one they must sell. Our first project is a slab candy cup. We'll decorate using red and green, and we'll put bags of candy inside the cups. It was hard to get all of the slabs cut out to fit the pattern, but we finally got there. I was carefully observing the student who told me that he doesn't like art, because "he's an athlete, not an artist". Today, he was totally into it! He was excited, and he showed me his cup with pride at the end of class. Usually, he shows me his work, and dismisses it with loads of trash talking. This was the high point of my week. It doesn't matter what you make. But, it does matter that you feel you've solved the design problem well, and effectively. Today, we planted a small seed, and changed hearts and minds.

The kids were excited about trying them out...
We made some tall candy dishes...
We used a net pattern to cut out slabs...
Drying them in the empty living room...
The garage is too hot for now...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery Week Two

I was lucky that the doctor didn't saw off my bakelite bracelets that I've worn for over 20 years. Some of them are really old. Inst...